FIRELOOP® SEISMIC EXPANSION JOINT FOR FIRE SPRINKLER SYSTEMS
Fireloop® seismic joint installation instructions
One of the great advantages of the FireLoop seismic expansion joint is its simplicity. It is very easy to install, requiring nor more than one hanger and two connections. It is also extremely compact with a narrow profile that makes installation easy, allows for tight pipe runs, and minimizes the impact on designs.
- Fireloop® can be connected to adjacent piping with rigid or flexible type couplings.
- A Metraflex Fireloop® may be installed in any orientation / position.*
- Fireloop® support:
- No support is required for the (180°) return bend for Fireloops® 2 inch or smaller.
- Support for the (180°) return bend for Fireloops® 2-1/2" and larger. Metraloops hanging down require no support. Support for other orientations can be provided in two ways;
- A hanger rod at the 180 that is 12" long or greater, for the +/- 4" of movement Metraloops will allow the loop to swing and no additional steps are necessary. For +/- 8" of movement Metraloops the hanger rod should be 16" long or greater.
- If the Fireloop® is installed with hanger rods less than distances recommended above, a Seismic BreakAway Hanger (SBH) is recommended, to allow the Fireloop® to flex during seismic event.
- Fireloops® are shipped with the shipping bar to insure a neutral face to face during installation. This shipping bar must remain in place during installation, but then must be removed prior to testing.
- Clearance; Fireloops® designed for;
- +/- 4" of movement, must have 4" of clearance all around the Fireloop®
- +/- 8" of movement, must have 8" of clearance all around the Fireloop®
- +/- 24" of movement, must have 24" of clearance all around the Fireloop®
- If the FireLoop cannot span the building's seismic separation, it may be installed with the closest elbow not more than 24 inches from the seismic separation.
* When FireLoop is installed in the up (180 bend above pipe run) position consideration should be given to the removal of entrapped air.